Not correcting an abnormal bite could lead to various oral health issues. This includes tooth decay, gum disease, and in some cases it can also cause abnormal tooth wear or tooth loss! Now that you have braces, we want you to be prepared for cleaning your teeth — even if it is a little more challenging.
At myORTHODONTIST we understand that the health of your smile is important to you. This is one of the reasons you are undergoing orthodontic treatment in the first place. According to the Canadian Dental Association, not correcting an abnormal bite could lead to various oral health issues. This includes tooth decay, gum disease, and in some cases it can also cause abnormal tooth wear or tooth loss! Now that you have braces, we want you to be prepared for cleaning your teeth – even if it is a little more challenging.
Braces can make brushing more difficult. This is because your braces provide more areas for food debris to get caught. The frequency of brushing your teeth while wearing braces has to be more often than before in order to maintain the same level of cleanliness. Ideally, you should make brushing your teeth a habit after each meal.
To brush your teeth while wearing braces:
- Start by rinsing your mouth really well with water.
- Brush your teeth using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Start at the gum line and position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle.
- Place your toothbrush on top of the brackets and use short strokes to brush on top of each bracket. (Remember the area between the braces and gums is the most critical spots.)
- Use gentle circular motions and try to avoid side to side movements. DO NOT SCRUB!
- Brush gently and thoroughly for two minutes.
Replace your toothbrush at least every 3 months or sooner if the bristles start fraying. Floss using a floss threader at least once a day, or if you can, after every meal. Using a Waterpik really helps clean between the teeth when you don’t have the time to floss. Cleaning your teeth while wearing braces requires more patience, but it’s worth the time and effort you put into it!